PortalHomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Efficient Keybinding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Symitri

PostSubject: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 am

Maybe it's because I used to play a lot of FPS games, but I've found that the default Wow Button set-up is insufficient for raiding. Buttons are too far spread out to allow for proper movement and action casting in situations where your reaction really matters. Most of us are playing with already bad latencies, so we can't really afford any extra seconds in movement delay (I highly recommend Tuskarr's Vitality to boots for this reason as well).

I came across this post a while ago and I've been mapping my keybindings according to the general logic from it since season 3. It's aimed at PVP'ers, due to the need for extreme reactions, but is very much applicable to PVE raiding.

http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/yes/207-how_you_can_become_gladiator_keybindings_part_i.html

I also recommend running a mod like Dominos / Bartender (wowinterface.com for both) to organise your bars in an information showing manner. Grouping all heals together, all trinket cooldowns together, all potions together, etc. Not all spells need to be shown, so long as they're bound! You can bind spells and macros using mods like Bindpad.

An example of this in action is a snippet of my UI.

I only have the cooldowns I need to see on my screen, with everything else bound. None of my number key bindings that are urgent extend beyond 5, the ones that are 8-0 are weapon swap macros that i wouldn't want to hit on accident. My sunder is bound to H because I rarely use it except when I'm fury, enraged regeneration is a long cooldown with a weak effect so I rarely need it urgently and Challenging Shout I use once every blue moon so that's why it's over there near K!

But everything else is within one button of each other and bound using Shift + Ctrl as modifiers. Underneath my second bar is a hidden bar which only shows up when I scroll over it, which has daily items + hearthstone + whathave you that i don't urgently need but use quite often.

Hopefully that provides some kind of idea :p Also going to note I usually don't run with the normal wow ui frames but Pitbull + AG are both not being worked on until the entirely new versions come out so I can't be stuffed getting new ones (Don't even suggest xperl Sad )

Obviously a healer UI and a dps/tank UI will be fairly different. I had a lot of trouble trying to find out efficient keybinds on my shaman at 70, but you can sort of group certain things together (Bind T to Abolish Poison, Shift + T to Poison Cleansing Totem, etc). You may need to cram a "few" more spells on your bars just to get an idea of what you have the mana to cast but from what people have told me at the moment, mana is hardly an issue so you might not :p

Last edited by Symitri on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:09 am

neat screen, but do u have a slot for HS or health pots? I tend to have that really handy Razz

I see my own chat in the SS> Fortunately, I'm sober and awake after the run, so no typo errors or lewd psts. :p
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:29 am

Yeah I do, healthstones and health pots are on a seperate bar I only activate during a raid Wink Because they're limited I'd hate to accidently click them.
Back to top Go down
Gallowyn
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 am

I find it helpful to have all the information I need at or near the centre of the screen - helps to avoid standing in, say, a Twilight Fissure when I am checking my SnD and HfB timers, or my Deadly Poison and Rupture on my target. Like Sym, I also place an action bar near the centre of the screen to help me keep track of important CDs like Tricks of the Trade. I also have my own unitframe and my target's unitframe in the middle.

Efficient keybinding is also essential for movement fights like Sarth 3D. Like most FPS players, I use WASD for movement with A and D set to strafe instead of turn, and use the mouse (hold down rightclick) for turning. If there are keys that you need to hit very often while on the move (in my case, for example, Mutilate) these can be bound to mouse buttons or the scroll wheel. On top of 1-5, the other keybinds that I use often are placed around the WASD keys - Q, E, R, F, G etc. These together with shift/alt/ctrl modifiers should be enough to cover the abilities that you need to use most often and while moving.

We can probably expect more movement fights in Ulduar and beyond, so it is probably worth the time to tweak your UI and keybinds if that might help your performance. A new setup may take a little getting used to initially but can pay off handsomely in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Come lets hit FPS sometime. FPS gives the most adrenaline rush.

BF2 or Team Fortress 2 anyone? Love that game to bits, too bad i spend too much time on WOW.
Back to top Go down
Mayonnaise

Location : Between 2 slices of lettuce, tomatoes and 2 grilled beef patties

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Boobsie wrote:

BF2 or Team Fortress 2 anyone? Love that game to bits, too bad i spend too much time on WOW.

Did someone say FPS?? Surprised

BF2? Maybe I noe u in game Very Happy...

Im with the [JEDI] Clan Very Happy ,use to frag under the nick [JEDI]blackvelvet79

...dun play TF2 though...

Currently moved on from BF2142, to COD4...and now playing abit of COD5 WAW Razz
Back to top Go down
Gallowyn
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 pm

I think I got TF2 together with Portal in the Orange Box compilation. Never installed it though. Haven't played much FPS in the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I loved the original team fortress, but I stopped playing FPS around the time Half-life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2 were around.

Unreal left me with so many headaches due to the fast pace.
Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 am

This is really funny, which i saw over at mmo-champ forum, which is a like a cesspool for QQ.

Thought I post it here. No offence Mages...

Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 am

Mayonnaise wrote:
Boobsie wrote:

Did someone say FPS?? Surprised

BF2? Maybe I noe u in game Very Happy...

Im with the [JEDI] Clan Very Happy ,use to frag under the nick [JEDI]blackvelvet79

...dun play TF2 though...

Currently moved on from BF2142, to COD4...and now playing abit of COD5 WAW Razz

My callsign was Poin[+]blank, used to be at least. Stopped playing liao. Ar the JEDI clan. I play mostly Engineer and Commando. Fav vehicle : Assault Chopper. Fav move: Flagpole Dance ard Vehicle or People. Quit becos cant find enough svrs or people who can even team up for Strat.

Adrenaline Rush Factor : 7. Same like CS. People basically move same speed and campsalot.

TF2 is extremely fun, for those who havent tried it, please do. And that is something I like about Valve, they keep updating. Compared to EA, they milk u dry, then they milk u again for something else (slightly improved version).

Adrenaline Rush Factor : 9. Awesome Fast n Furious action. You need to be paying attention at all times, cos of Spy n Scout. Hardly any camper per sey. Still lack following, but steadily pulling in crowds.
Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 am

Gallowyn wrote:
I think I got TF2 together with Portal in the Orange
Box compilation. Never installed it though. Haven't played much FPS in
the last few years.

Install TF2. Confirm a lot of fun, and go play with Shiro, unless she have spatial challenges.

Symitri wrote:
I loved the original team fortress, but I stopped playing FPS around the time Half-life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2 were around.

Unreal left me with so many headaches due to the fast pace.

I didnt like UT2 and Quake. Quake is Izzia's favourite. Too many rocket boost and uber gravity-defying stunts and dark-but-flashing bits setting make it fast, furious but not really fun. No abt aiming, more abt trailing. And just shoot shoot and more shooting. You can't really outwit your opponent. Thats my opinion anyways.
Back to top Go down
izzia
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 am

Hee hee... sour grapes Smile

LoL.. seriously, the key to quake besides luck and good reflexes, is knowing the map well.. each nook and the sequence spawn of the power ups/health/ammos... etc.
Back to top Go down
Naushan
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:24 pm

ROFL mage keyboard Q1 to Q12. Daaaamn!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Naushan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Efficient Keybinding   

Back to top Go down

Efficient Keybinding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top