AION, mmorpg.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm

My Aion Open Beta review:

http://thepoliticsofliving.blogspot.com/search/label/Aion

Random use of pictures to make it look like I wrote more than usual.
Back to top Go down
Thaifighter

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 pm

i think im dling aion open beta atm... got it off 3fl... i wanna play

EDIT: GAH I GOT NO OPEN BETA KEY... anyone got spare? :p
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Fileplanet is offering a free giveaway of beta keys. if you mask your proxy to a US one, you can get it Razz
Back to top Go down
Thaifighter

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Just did it Razz

It's alright, but latency is killer, and early game is the same style as WoW really :O
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Running it at dial-up speed I was getting 700 ms, as compared to 1000 MS in WoW. May be dependent on server, Israphael and Siel are quite heavily loaded. Been playing on Lumiel personally. It also helps if you go into Menu > Support > Change Channel and go to one of the more vacant ones.

Think the biggest difference between it and WoW, at least as a scout + warrior, is the number of abilities you have at early levels. But you're right, they've basically tried to take the successful elements of the WoW formula to at least grab attention.

Will be hard to form an opinion just yet of how the mass PVP will turn out. Conceptually reminds me of what PVP used to be in Vanilla.
Back to top Go down
Thaifighter

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:51 am

lol id 2 shot u on my priest... 11.4k hallowed strike 10k smite ur ded HAHA

*Yeah, mass PvP/endgame PvE is what I'm interested in.

Wish WoWTunnels would work with Aion.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am

Don't you have to pay for WoWtunnels now?

I'm under the impression if you use Gamepath, which is another pay-for-tunneling service, which works for WoW + Aion, that you'd be fine.
Back to top Go down
Thaifighter

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah WoWTunnels is paid atm, Gamepath would probably work but I'm lazy Razz
Back to top Go down
Thaifighter

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:37 am

Unlazied myself and used Gamepath; worked really well, no complaints about skill delays now Very Happy

And the game is quite enjoyable, you can see they put alot of effort into translation all the stuff, the scenery looks fanastic, the quests/quest chains make sense etc.

My warrior's skills finally make sense, just got Rage Razz
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Rage is the most awesome skill ever!

My favourite thing about them so far, always wanted my own way of delaying damage!

Waiting on hearing about your first flight death Wink

Edit: Just tested Gamepath myself. Went from 700 to 200 ping... And what I noticed is that autoattacks in AIon are dependent on your ping! it registers each auto attack command off your client, rather than as how WoW handles it. So if you aren't communicating new autoattacks due to lag, you won't get any new autoattacks for the duration of your lag. When using Gamepath, was getting off a lot more white attacks, and mobs were dying significantly faster.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 pm

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/aion-discussion/36110-your-psychological-health-how-avoid-ragequit-burnout.html definitley a good read if you're planning to start playing. I definitley expect a lot of the more casual WoW players to ragequit because they're not used to anything remotely challenging in solo gameplay Razz I REMEMBER THE DAYS OF THOSE DARNED ELITE MURLOCS OFF THE COAST OF STV... AND THE ELITE DRAGONS OF BURNING STEPPES... AND *yaps on* Damn youngsters have it easy.

Also a note to potential players: If you plan on playing with friends, make sure you know which race and server they're playing on. Once you choose one race, you can't change your mind for that specific server.
Back to top Go down
Valdr
Officer

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 am

LOL. This guy is hilarious!

"The most psychologically important thing you can do to prepare yourself is to convert Aion levels in your head to these other levels.. use the chart conversion chart below:
1 Aion Level =
5 WoW Levels.
4 AoC Levels.
1.6 WaR Levels.
HOW TO USE THE CHART: Suppose you only played WoW before. Each time you gain four bubbles (20%) in your leveling bar. Stop. In your head, make a mental "ding" sound. Imagine all your guildies saying "GRATS". Sit down in rest mode and wait until your health and mana bar is full to simulate the leveling-regeneration effect. Take a break or grab a soda. You just dinged, you deserve it."
Back to top Go down
Gallowyn
Officer

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Nice read.

I would add that:

Quote :
1 Aion Level =
5 WoW Levels.
and

Quote :
With 70% of your level EXP coming from non-quest exp, you will have to kill random mobs anyways.
make Aion much less appealing to me now.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Those figures sound greatly exagerrated. People who have quested to 30 on the OB and CB have said they've only done quests. Unless there's a sudden regress in design from 30-50...

Given how many times xp in Wow has been nerfed, the 5=1 conversion doesn't sound preposterous, it just sounds like WoW XP before the nerfs.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am

For those who will be going over to try Aion,

SERVER: NEZEKEN
RACE: ELYOS

But it looks like we have a good 16-20 players amongst my friend's list, and a guild will be formed! Razz

No official word yet on guild tag, but it was < AnGu > on Open Beta (yes... Think about the g-tag for a while for the large portion of you who spent all their time making fun of me in different languages!). Will probably be able to invite a bunch of people to come along for the ride, should be fun!

Temporary Guild Site: http://angu.guildomatic.com/forums/
Back to top Go down
imzra
Officer

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:04 am

AION needs sexy
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:48 am

Don't do it Imzra, no matter how sexy your character, the male dances just won't be as sexy as your blood elf... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVsUiD7ixI
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:42 pm

if this doesn't convince every patriotic american to go and play, i don't know what will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2BzE4fqsU
Back to top Go down
Arielyn

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Symitri wrote:
if this doesn't convince every patriotic american to go and play, i don't know what will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2BzE4fqsU

Hehe it seems the Aion character creation screen allows you to make your toon look like just about anybody. I've seen Wolverine, Rambo and now Obama.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 pm

The customisation is limited to the hair models really, luckily there are quite a few Razz I made Heihachi from Tekken the other day.

Anyhow, Headstart started today, here are some pictures of Erisym the Alive going through the starting zone of Poeta, Elyos Starting Area!

http://virtualbydesign.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/sights-of-poeta/

I've already got plenty of the second zone but I'll save those until I'm at least more than three quarters of the way through Razz
Back to top Go down
Boobsie
Officer

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 am

I downloaded AION, but not in time for beta, how did u get on so early?

AION seems pretty and all, but there are mixed "previews" of it. Are there major differences between AION and Guild Wars (gameplay wise)? I didnt like Guild Wars, it was pretty but it didnt felt action oriented, non social, and not "epic".
Back to top Go down
Arielyn

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Boobsie wrote:
I downloaded AION, but not in time for beta, how did u get on so early?

AION seems pretty and all, but there are mixed "previews" of it. Are there major differences between AION and Guild Wars (gameplay wise)? I didnt like Guild Wars, it was pretty but it didnt felt action oriented, non social, and not "epic".

I believe the early start is available to those who pre-orderd.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Arielyn is correct!

I never got into Guild Wars, but the way the combat works is fairly similar to WoW.

What it does different really is that skill moves work more like combo moves. You get quite a few between level 1-10 at least as a warrior, and by the time you get to 13 you have quite an interesting 'rotation' as it were. That's always been my biggest problem levelling in WoW, it takes ages to get enough skills so you're not just spamming one.

An example would be my warrior. I current have a move that debuffs the enemy's defense, which I place on first, then I use Attack 1 which can be followed either by Attack 2 or 3, but not both, so i have to make a choice there. There's a significant enough cooldown on all three that once Attack 1 comes back up, you will choose whatever attack you didn't choose last time. But in my case, Attack 2 is a direct damage-dealing attack, whereas Attack 3 actually creates a Shield around me. Furthermore, when I crit with my polearm I knockdown my opponent, as well as having a few mobs which force them into a certain debuff state. When they're in this state, I can then go on and use another 'reactive' move only available depending on that debuff. It's quite thrilling to have that level of interactivity so low, as you literally -can't- one button spam unless you macro it. In which case, yes you totally could Razz

Depending on the mob I'm fighting, the choice varies, as the shield can actually prevent some special attacks from landing. Not all mobs have some random auto-attack after all.

With that said, I do think I was a bit underhanded when I said the grind wasn't as bad. My friend and I spent almost two hours trying to get an item off mobs for a quest. While I'm sure some peope will leap upon this as evidence of bad Korean design, I'll just remind anybody who did the Sigil of Arathor pre-late TBC that WoW wasn't bereft of these kinds of pains itself Razz We had a lot of fun two-man aoeing the mobs down, pulling 6-7 at a tim; quite a thrilling challenge trying to tank them off him so he could heal me, especially since heal aggro is much more potent in that game and he was dpsing in addition to heals.

To address the point that Gallow made in a comment, zones are designed in such a matter that it does seem claustrophobic. While there isn't much poiint to such a design early on, the benefits of having these kinds of areas later on in the game creates strategy. When you're forced to go between point X and Z through only Y, it forces the reality of conflict. A lot of players complained early on in TBC and throughout that flying mounts ruined PVP, specifically because you couldn't be hunted down to that same degree and were never forced really to go through a certain area. The only exception I can think of is the Coilfang entrance. But with that said, I found myself getting quite lost in the second zone. With the addition of being able to glide around by that time, the zones seem to scale up and I got lost more than once and had to consult my map. I had a lot of fun just gliding around and having competitions with my friend on who could go further. Funnier yet was when we both managed to ace our glides (because there is a small element of skill involved; in comparison to say riding a mount) and we got so high that we ran out of flight time and fell to our deaths. Worth it though!
Back to top Go down
Arielyn

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 pm

I've started playing the game, actually. Lvl 6 warrior now. How shall I contact you?
Back to top Go down
Symitri

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm

You can either message me some time tomorrow, on Erisym, or better yet, message one of the officers in AnGu for an invite on the basis that you know me from WoW Razz Icingdeath, Teilexu or Ahsai can all hand out invites since I can't grant them myself. Nice group of people. If you just want to talk to me (MOST PEOPLE DON'T), you'll have to wait for me to be around Wink Trying to take it easy this time around, and I played way more yesterday than I intended too because I was hooked.

Edit: Guild membership is currently capped at 30. We've only got 30k/120k in necessary funds to pay for the next level which will grant more members. The last person to join was Nefance, who gloated about only spending 30 minutes on that same quest I mentioned above and getting the items T_T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AION, mmorpg.   

Back to top Go down

AION, mmorpg.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BoObs  :: General :: Chit-chat and News-
Jump to: