BoObs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Authenticator

Go down 
+2
Symitri
Orthedos
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Any guildie use this protection device? I read about it and think this might be the ultimate anti-hacker tool.

Is it possible to use it if I am now travelling around China and HK? If it can be used here, anyone know where I can buy one without having to fly back to oregon.
Back to top Go down
Symitri

Symitri

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 5:16 pm

The ultimate anti-hacker tool is not being stupid.

Run firefox with noscript, use a program like spybot rather than norton to prevent infections in the first place rather than fix them as they come, run a software or hardware firewall, don't click dodgy links ("ME SUCKY SUCKY LONG TIME" is generally a good indication of a dodgy link).

Unless you are an incredibly famous or powerful person with tons of secrets to steal, most hackers won't ever target you to a point where you need that kind of extra protection. Viruses and keyloggers are designed to target the mass number of people who are computer illiterate; they are rarely sent at specific people.
Back to top Go down
Rhodie

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Here is blizzard's FAQ on this particular device:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=26109

As I know the device is not geography sensitive. So once you get yourself one, you can bring it with you anywhere you go.

Of course if you lose it, you can't login to wow anymore I think.
Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Triggers

Triggers

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah I use one, and I highly suggest it to anyone else. It's only 6 bucks, you can use it for multiple accounts and for Diablo or Starcraft. You can use it anywhere as long as you have it on hand and it works at the time you log in to the game. I also suggest that you copy the serial number down on a piece of paper once you get the item and place that number somewhere safe. Reason being, if you lose it, you can give them that number to have it removed. Biggest thing here is imo, it's an added layer of security for only 6 bucks.......that's friggin' cheap!
Back to top Go down
rubberbands
Officer
rubberbands

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 11:35 pm

Unforunately unless you own an iphone, as far as I know the authenticator isn't available in this region (SEA). From what i've read, the authenticator is military grade VASCO (whatever that is) technology, but also has been known to mulfunction (which in turn wlil create alot of trouble, like having to scan your passport and etc)

I'd probably get one if they were available here, but as usual blizz doesnt really care about this region Sad
Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Sad news is no shops in Hong Kong carries it, and I do not fancy flying to US to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Kaziopoeia

Kaziopoeia

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 pm

probably because HK can't really officially sell WoW. Something to do with the china licence, but when I signed up from HK I had to fake a US billing address - just look up a Walmart in idaho or something wierd.
As long as your credit card is valid it shouldn't be a problem
Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 am

Sigh, where can I find one to buy Sad
Back to top Go down
Kaziopoeia

Kaziopoeia

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm

you never know... the Wan Chai computer centre may be able to get one for you.

Better still, you can get a virtual one for your mobile if you have an Iphone or an ipodtouch
https://us.battle.net/account/support/mobile-auth-download.xml

failing that, why don't you do a search to find out if the EU authenticators will work for US accounts, if the Auths are identical and you can then let me know and I'll try to grab a couple when I go to England in december. I can then meet up and hand it over when I'm back

Kaz
Back to top Go down
Kaziopoeia

Kaziopoeia

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Oh interesting, and ... well iphone is ok I can buy one. But do iphones work dialing from HK work? Do you need to dial at all?

Naturai
Back to top Go down
Rhodie

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 1:18 pm

I believe an Ipod Touch or Iphone would work.

The authenticator application (installed on the device) will use a wi-fi / internet connection to authenticate against blizzard's servers presumably to give you a unique code for login purposes.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no dialing or long distance charges involved. Instead it will involve internet usage and possibly a few kilobytes worth of data charges. Of course it's free if you use WIFI.
Back to top Go down
Kaziopoeia

Kaziopoeia

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Actually I think there's no net connection required.

what it will do is it will generate a series of seemingly random numbers that are linked by an encrypted code.
When you link the auth with your account it will ask for the auth's key (the code) which will identify the sequence.

So even if someone wrote down the series of numbers coming from the auth they wouldn't be able to guess the next one unless they knew the encryption.

If you have an HSBC account in HK your online banking keyfob thing does exactly the same thing.

Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Ok so I have one more thing to buy next, an iphone.
Back to top Go down
Rhodie

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Taken from the mobile authenticator FAQ at http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=26109

You will need to access the internet via the cellular signal / WIFI ONCE to ACTIVATE the application. After that you won't need to communicate with blizzard's servers anymore.

Other useful info about the authenticator can be found at the link.

And if you'll be buying an iphone just for this feature, you could consider using an Ipod touch instead. (cheaper)

Also, if you read through the entire FAQ, the last answer actually says the mobile authenticator is supported in some other mobile phones other than apple's iphone/ipod.

Check out http://mobile.blizzard.com/us-en/support-compat.html/ to see if your phone is compatible and you might be able to get this application for no cost (if your phone is already supported).
Back to top Go down
Orthedos

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 5:31 pm

No my phone is not. My phone is an antique, date from the Roman empire, err slightly later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Authenticator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authenticator   Authenticator Empty

Back to top Go down

Authenticator
Page 1 of 1