Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bllue
Officer

PostSubject: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Sat May 31, 2008 1:04 pm

http://news.filefront.com/is-age-of-conan-a-wow-killer/

Posted by Ron on Friday, May 30th, 2008 at 5:35 pm under Features, Editorials, Editor's Corner, Warhammer, World of Warcraft, Game Platforms, Games, Computer, Game Companies
Tagged: Age of Conan, aoc, Blizzard, ea, Funcom, MMO, Mythic, Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, WoW and wow killer

Well, we’ve had Age of Conan at retail for a little over a week now, and so far, it’s doing pretty well in stores. I mean, 400,000 copies in its first week is a solid start for any title. Additionally, the retail launch was pretty smooth, although some bugs were still present. All in all though, I agree with what seems to be (from my reading) the prevailing opinion that the AoC launch was arguably the best MMO launch ever.

The success of Age of Conan is a boon not only for the MMO market, but for MMO gamers everywhere. For the first time in recent memory, there are now two quality MMO titles competing for subscription dollars. With the release of Warhammer Online looming, it looks like that count will soon rise to three.

This means that there is now healthy competition in that market space, and that means that all 3 of the companies behind these MMO’s will be working hard to earn those dollars. That’s great for us as gamers, as it means we’ll get to see all sorts of new and exciting stuff in our MMO of choice.

Now, since all of this is true, it gets me to thinking about a question that is (I am sure) being debated in more than one venue, and that is this: What effect will the early success of Age of Conan have on World of Warcraft?

I think we can all agree that World of Warcraft is the 800 lb. gorilla of the MMO market. After all, at last count it boasted something along the lines of 10.7 million subscribers. Of course, prior to the release of AoC and Warhammer, I heard lots of people refer to either or both of these games as ‘WoW killers.’ I want to let you all in on a little secret: There is no WoW killer.

That’s right, WoW is nearly immortal in its own way. The only thing that can ravage it is time. However, that isn’t bad news for the other two big MMO’s. You see, WoW can easily withstand the loss of half its player base to these two newcomers to the arena. Take away half their playerbase, and they’re still left with over 5 million subscribers. With a little reduction and consolidation on the server side, WoW can continue to be profitable for years to come. Additionally, both Age of Conan and Warhammer Online should be tickled pink if they each grab 2.5 million players from WoW.

Furthermore, as has been the case in the past, players who have left WoW will likely continue to return to check out new expansions, even if it’s only for a few months. Heck, some people, like my colleague Shawn Sines, tend to hop from one MMO to another like a flea jumping around a pack of dogs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for many WoW players, WoW was their first experience in an MMO game. I think most all of you will agree with me when I say that no matter how many games you play in a genre, you never forget your first. WoW brought a lot of new blood into the MMO genre, and I expect that many of those people will remain in WoW for some time to come, especially since many of them have massive amounts of time, effort, and money invested in their accounts there.

The biggest advantage I see for World of Warcraft is also its biggest handicap, and that is that it is the incumbent champion in this genre. The advantage is that players have an investment in it, and that the glaring bugs in the system have been ironed out long ago. Players are loath to continue playing a game that has players hitting max level in mere days from release due to exploits. However, the folks at FunCom seem to be on top of things, and are taking some appropriate measures to deal with these miscreants (Bannings and stripping of accounts, oh my!)

The disadvantage for WoW is that people are always interested in something new, specially if it is shiny. AoC and Warhammer are certainly trying to fill that bill, and so there will be an inevitable early rush of players to both games to ‘test the waters.’ However, Blizzard need not be overly concerned with this.

Simply put, World of Warcraft is in no danger of collapsing under the onslaught of Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. Perhaps some Vivendi stockholders may have difficulty making their payments on that second exotic sports car, but I think they’ll be fine in the long run. Sure, WoW may diminish some, but the only thing that it has to fear is World of Starcraft. MAKE IT, BLIZZARD! I BEG YOU!
Back to top Go down
Nefance

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:27 pm

hehh~ might just be..
i've got friends who are trying to pull me into AoC and Warhammer, concepts and graphix are awesome.
Back to top Go down
Bllue
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 am

i got the ce version on Saturday afternoon and started playing at about 1030pm after patching it for a long time. one file patched was 649mb.

as mentioned in thr article, i agree aoc is not a wow killer but i am sure aoc will garner a substantial audience too. i am enjoying the game thus far.

agree that in general the gfx is nicer. i feel like i am playing an RPG sometimes. while wow tend to be cartoonish, this one is FPS medival rpg type of feel.

the combos move are fun and it is very satisfying to finish off an enemy bloodily using a combo (it is targeted at mature audience). some of the content is frank that it is targeted at adults.

people who have been playing wow will not feel things are drastically different as some of the features are also implemented. like question marks for completed quests, ! for quests to be taken, talent trees, etc. also interesting to note that almost all areas have normal or epic version.

if u are playing on off-wow raid days, pls do it on server "SET". i am playing a dark templar (melee) there. lvl 14 atm. Smile

just to add that the bonus soundtrack cd which came with the ce version is nice. just tried this morning in my car on the way to work and it feels original and refreshing.
Back to top Go down
Bllue
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 am

I saw a review that mentioned the following which is probably true (no i don't know since my system is ok Smile ) and i think for this reason, this is why aoc is a not a wow killer. wow can be played at low end system. i did read in the forums that aoc being adult-themed did consider this aspect.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The great Flaw of AoC
No game is perfect, Aoc is no exception. There are minor issues in this game and some I have outlined above. But as a whole those are either fixable with time and growth of the game, or are something to be expected. However, I will confess that the biggest issue of this game..the one where I feel Funcom has miscalculated is simply the
System Requirements.

The last patches during the final days of AoC Beta significantly ...I would even go so far as to say impressively improved the gameplay for lower end computers. However, the system requirements of this game still remain higher than every other in this genre of PC games . Even with the last patches the game runs very clunky unless you can beat the standard. I list the system requirements in my earlier article HERE. Basically it boils down to you need a fast processor, a good graphics card and a Lot of RAM. If you are missing ANY of these, you will find yourself banging your head against the screen in outrage. The lack of one of these components cannot be made up by improvement in another. You must meet them all! failing to meet any of these and The loading of the different zones can easily become a bathroom break. FPS can fall to a crawl in EVERY city. The cities are something to behold ...but it will seem like a postcard than a 3d MMO if your system is lacking.

I've heard several people say that you need to have 4 gigs in order to run AoC smoothly, since Vista 64 uses 1.5 to 2 gigs. I dont claim to know this as a fact, but I will say..if you have less than 2 gigs RAM you are in big trouble....no matter your operating system. I will tell you that you should have at least a graphics card that is 256mbs. If you sport a 128, I would also seriously consider this when deciding about this game. Processor, well there are a lot of them out there, the specs talk about 3GHz Pentium...again, I would say you better beat that.

In fact, if anything I would say that the current listed minimum specs to run this game are set TOO LOW and may cause a false sense of security. I am not saying its intentional. But to think that you buy this game with a P4, 1 gig of ram and a 128 mb graphics card is just silly. Yes, perhaps the game will 'run'...but I wager the game will be unplayable! In the end AoC pushes the system requirements for this game genre, but it's nothing you cant overcome, in time and $$ investment in your system.

And there lies the problem. The fact is the current MMO climate is dominated by WoW. And WoW is FULL of players who are just burning out left and right. Many are desperate for a new game. Coming from computer that runs WoW just fine to a game that will lock up, crash , or simply put them at a severe disadvantage against everyone and everything will be a HUGE disappointment. Especially if you just plunked down $49.99 for the AoC standard or even more for the Collectors Edition not to mention the Game Cards and Strategy guides. This is the games greatest flaw, because the backlash from the growing pains of this game can have long lasting effects. In MMOs the first impressions are the most important (exemplified by the release of Vanguard). The players with systems who cannot take it...may fall back to WoW.

Helping make your computer run AoC
For those players who have a solid computer, but dont have a lot of money (after putting down $50-$70) to spare. I would say that the best bang for your buck to run AoC better is to upgrade your graphics card. I know that RAM is likely the cheapest, but if you put up an investment in the graphics card, it will take you a lot farther than 2 more gb of RAM.

For the Settings, The biggest memory drain Ive found is the Shader. If your having FPS issues, make sure your shader is completly off. Water effects should be taken completly off as well. Set your view distance to 500. On those systems who are really struggling, turn off ALL particle effects by sliding the particle distance down to 0. Have more tips? Leave them below so everyone can benifit.
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:17 pm

accessibility FTW

Some lessons (for those of us in the online IT industry)

- many people don't have top-of-the-line computers: so you wanna build something for a low common denominator. Most ppl don't know or care about anisotropic filtering or global shaders.

- many people don't know or care about WASD controls, spell rotations or group synergies. Many people also think that Vista is 'nice'.

- going viral. part of wow's success was that it effectively went viral: friends, family, etc all got into it. And because of its general accessibility (whether it's downloading the client or playing the initial game) it stuck.
Back to top Go down
Naushan
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm

LOL "Many people think that Vista is 'nice'"
Back to top Go down
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Naushan
Spendrak
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Journeying Further into Age of Conan
Impressions from beyond level 40.

On the directional melee combat:

I'll admit I was pretty skeptical about the whole melee system when I first started playing. Would it get tiresome after only a few levels? Would it turn combat into a frenzied mess? While large-scale group combat can seem to devolve into a frantic kind of slug-fest, the melee system has definitely remained engaging. In fact it's proven so much fun to use that it makes the more traditional spellcasting classes seem like a step down in terms of entertainment value.

On harvesting and crafting:

The spoils of all this harvesting, crafting at level 40, and eventually setting up structures in your guild's city are interesting, though. Pooling resources and money to fund construction creates a team dynamic that gives your guild a sense of camaraderie in that you're all working towards a common goal and can actually see what's produced.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/878/878496p1.html
Back to top Go down
Bllue
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:27 pm

new players to note

huge patches.. at least 3-4 files now. one as big as 649mb.

prepare to have HD space of 20-30 gb for it...

maintenance is usually on monday. maybe they plan it so that its just b4 tuesday.. lol.

oh gecko just bought too. lol.

players who are checking it out casually during the off raid days, pls go server "SET".

add bllue (dark templar). i am a melee class. play other class pls Smile
Back to top Go down
Bllue
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

lol
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Road hog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Age of Conan a WoW Killer?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BoObs  :: General :: Chit-chat and News-
Jump to: