BoObs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WAR beta review

Go down 
+7
NetherFury
Bllue
Gallowyn
Neonate
imzra
Luvme
Spendrak
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NetherFury

NetherFury

WAR beta review - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 pm

The saddest thing...... after completing the beta download of 9.3 Gb........

Your Zip file is corrupted~
WARGHHHHHH....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=566408830
Bllue
Officer
Bllue

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 1:05 am

ya i unzip and it said the same. but anyway using the 'corrupted files' i installed in my pc. not sure whether it can work but it did allow me to log in. altho there are no servers on.
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 pm

I am playing WAR open beta on Darkland server(Oceanic) as a Chaos Chosen named Gaara. you can add me if you are on beta too.

Not that I will play much since it's gonna get wiped at launch.
but I did get it to level 10 lol and played quite a deal of RvR.

It's quite an adrenaline rush to charge into the enemy lines, chop up the weak and try to run back to your own lines while trying to stay alive. Damn exciting.

The most fun I had recently was this instance that I ran in, killed 4 enemies. and returned to base with 4 hp left after all the DOT went away. so close to death. woot~

I like it pretty much so far.

One thing I am pretty sure is that, I probably will only play 1 character since there is really so much to do. Smile

See you in WAR on off raid days~
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 pm

how's the button mashing? timing based? cooldown management? what resources did you have to track?

example abilities?
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 pm

hmm there is a global cooldown of 1.5 second for abilities. some abilities have different cooldowns.

It is not mindless button smashing. got to plan a bit depending on situation.

I can't say for other classes since I only tried a bit of shadow warrior, Disciple and the White lion besides Chosen.

For the Chosen, I have Aura, which is a buff/debuff for friends/foe. I can switch aura on CD but the previous aura will continue to linger for abt 12 seconds. so I can at max keep 3 auras going if I am efficient. I think this is only luxury for PVE content.

For PVP, usually I only switch aura depending on situation, if I want to tank, dps or reduce spell damage. (so far I only have these 3 auras, will have more later when higher level) note that they are all buff/debuff auras. tanking aura increase allies and my toughness while reducing enemies toughness. DPS aura increase str of me and ally while reducing all enemies'. Spell damage mitigation aura affects me and allies, while reducing spell resistance of enemies. is a double effect which I really like about this class.

I will normally run in and hamstring someone who prob will die faster. and then do a dot on him before doing some direct damage. so if he breaks free hopefully if my team mates do not kill him, the dot will.

Else I will use a sword and shield to push forward. There is an ability call hold the line, where enemies do less damage to allies behind me. and I also have damage mitigation as long as I have action points. This is especially useful when the enemies are doing a push to break the ranks. to try to survive till help arrives. (of course sometimes it never came hahaha but that was the fun too. then the entire warband would swear hahaha)

There are some interesting things at higher level, e.g. a soul link ability where I can take some damage an ally is receiving while the ally's threat all goes to me, and also increase my dps at the same time. There seems to be quite some interesting synegies to explore.

I think I just wanna learn how to play the chosen well for now Smile It's intriguing....
Oh another thing to note is it is really easy to get decent gear, you can get by doing public quest (is like a area related public raid which resets in 2 mins once the previous group has completed the objectives, usually in 3 stages) doing PVP (You can buy gears on renown level, kind of like depending on your fame in the battleground), by questing, by being sort of bounty hunter (Super nesingway mob killer) and via dungeons.

So far I have not tried dungeons and the bounty hunter. but I took part in all the public quests I found so far.

*mumbles to self*....must play Beta less!!! the character will be wiped!!!
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

thanks for detailed description!
Back to top Go down
Neonate

Neonate

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm

It's official!! Live Game Headstart Dates Announced.

I am all hyped up. See you all in-game on the 14th September. I will most likely be on Darklands.
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

For the curious Azerothian citizen, despite the familiar handholds, there are a number of big differences and additional features you're just not going to have experience with. Warhammer's a brand new world, with a lot of different sights, cultures, and expectations.

http://www.massively.com/2008/09/09/a-world-of-warcraft-players-guide-to-warhammer-online/
Back to top Go down
Zouk
Officer
Zouk

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Quote :
welcome to a brand new world ... one without gnomes!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 pm

good, but a lengthy read:

Instead of dumping a massive mound of dizzying data on your heads, we've decided to take a closer look at what we've compiled. This first editorial focuses on the foundations of the game - we'll take a look at what we know about the Warhammer IP, the people designing the game, the intended features and design principles.

http://www.only-war.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=93
Back to top Go down
Neonate

Neonate

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 3:07 pm

The time for WAR is here. The Collectors' Edition Head Start begins at 1:00pm EDT Sunday. That should be about 1:00am Monday morning. Anyone planning on staying up for launch? I know I will Razz

Anyways, see you all in-game (WAR).
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 3:16 pm

I will too Very Happy

will definitely roll chaos side on Darkland.
Back to top Go down
Gallowyn
Officer
Gallowyn

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I won't be staying up on Mon - gotta work on Tues, y'know - but I'll be rolling on Darkland as well.
Back to top Go down
Neonate

Neonate

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 am

Woohoo...just back back home and there is good news waiting. Mythic has decided to launch an hour early!!

30 mins and counting....tick--tock--tick--tock.
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 2:53 am

I've created my toons on Darkland but server queue is too long so I play another day.

Garang - Chosen (Main)

Rest are to chop the names
Garanguni - Shaman
Wakao
Wapiang
Walao

time to sleep Smile
Back to top Go down
Gallowyn
Officer
Gallowyn

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 am

Not Garangfury?
Back to top Go down
Neonate

Neonate

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 11:45 am

I am so boring. Every MMO or game that allows me to create a character with a name, I ended up using the same ones.

Anyways, I have created a main and alts (just for name keep sake) on Darklands ( Destruction ) and Ironclaw ( Order ). Both are Oceanic Servers at launch. And yea, the queue time is pretty bad. Hope Mythic will increase the cap.

Neonate - Squig Herder (main)
Carinate
Zirconate
Resonate
Marinate
Imaginate
Obstinate
Vaccinate
Feminate
Alienate

Please post/reply with WAR character names so we can add each to friends' list (thats provided if you are into WAR) Razz
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

No garangfury... you can have the name Walan if you wan to join the Wa-xxx family lol.
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 5:48 pm

What about Wahzan?!
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 5:51 pm

I know. mine will be Wathefuk.
Back to top Go down
Naushan
Officer
Naushan

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Wasilinlaopeh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Naushan
imzra
Officer
imzra

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

batman
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Does this game...

1) Have quests that mostly focus on the good old FedEx pattern ("Hello, I'm generic NPC A, please take this package to generic NPC B"), on killing a specific number of enemies ("Hello, please kill 5 Small Pigs. Come back 10 levels later and I'll ask you to kill 15 Somewhat Bigger Pigs") and alikes?

Yep. To their credit, the kill/drop quests are never ridiculous like WoW (ie. "I've killed 200 boars, and only 2 have lungs?!"). The kill quests are usually to kill between 4 and 10, and the drop quests the same with a 100% droprate from what I've seen.

2) Rely on doing repetitive activities in order to reach the high level cap, with players having to kill one hundred enemies with 100 health doing 10 damage per attack only to level up and then have to kill one hundred enemies with 1000 health doing 100 damage per attack?

Not if you don't want to. You can PVE your way to level or you can PVP. That's the beauty of getting exp during scenarios and such. You can quest a little, hop into a scenario, hop out and do a public quest, all the while getting closer to your next level.

3) Have a focus on keeping players by giving them more and bigger rewards, instead of keeping players by making them have fun when playing, regardless of what rewards they're being given?

WAR gives you little rewards all throughout. You're always getting drops or having gear available to you based on your pvp rank. You also get Achievements ala Xbox 360 except they provide you with little things like Titles that you can choose to display underneath your name. Nothing huge from what I've seen, but enough to make it seem like you're being rewarded on top of having fun.

4) Offer a high number of character customization options, beginning from the character creation screen and going all the way into the end game, both aesthetically and in role while playing, allowing people to undo some mistakes so they don't learn they have done a bad allocation of resources at level 30 and learn they have to reroll their characters in order to fix it?

The character model creation is limited from the beginning with the exception of being able to dye your armor whatever colors you'd like. Besides being able to add talismans (kind of like temporary socket bonuses), I haven't seen anything else that inherently changes your character's gear. In terms of role-playing, there are 3 paths for each class (ala WoW Talent Trees), but I didn't make it far enough in beta to see how different they played out. From in-game descriptions, it does seem like the sort of thing you can wipe out and redo fairly easily.

5) Have a PvE endgame that relies on "raiding" (in other words, doing the same thing over and over so you have a small probability of getting an item)?

I believe they will have near-endgame PvE dungeons, but a lot of endgame will focus on PvE-objective PvP such as taking over the other Realm's city. It'll surely be different than WoW with less of a farming aspect and more of a continuation of the PvP structure. We'll find out more as people make it to 40, though.

6) Have a PvP in which what equipment a character has is more important than how skilled that player is?

Early on, they implement certain measures to neutralize everybody a little bit in scenarios. You can get increased health and (I think) altered stats. I haven't seen any huge gap yet between people of lesser and better gear. However, you get gear drops frequent enough, and every few ranks, you get to buy new Renown Gear without having to grind "honor" to get them. Thus, gear will probably be somewhat important as the levels get higher, but the decent gear is basically handed to you. The only reason you'd be outgeared is if you simply didn't go to the Renown Gear Merchant.

7) Suffer from release problems like lag, queues and etc?

Open Beta had log-in queues for the more heavily-populated servers, but I didn't experience any lag at all once I made it into those high pops. There are plenty of servers to start the game out today on Head Start. I don't see huge queues being an issue.

Cool Have good audio, an immersive soundtrack, and good sound effects?

The sound effects aren't horrible, but they definitely aren't great. Overall, the sound is one of the less impressive features of the game.
Back to top Go down
Spendrak
Admin
Spendrak

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Hello early adopters,

any feedback, complaints, reviews?
Back to top Go down
NetherFury

NetherFury

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 4:37 am

errr been busy playing lol it is 3am Saturday morning. just finished my session of WAR for the night..

While waiting for more people to get to T3. I stopped my Marauder (Garang Guni) which is Rank24 and started a Zealot (Alluring Nurse, yes that is the name of my zealot lol).

Had only been doing pvping with the zealot, wanted to see if I could level all the way to R40 without doing any PVE at all.

Found that I did reasonably well up to R15 RR15, bought Renown gears at R8 and R15. and I performed ok in the scenerios, all done in about 24hours of playtime.

It is really a PVP game. if you like it, you will love it. WAR is >>>>>>>>>>> WoW for PVP.

The game is now version 1.0.2 and they fixed some issues, making it more playable.
and it has not crashed to desktop since this patch. also tackled gold sellers spam issues. and some game balances and bug fixes.

I still say the game needs a little bit more optimisation or at least allow people like me with lousy PC to tune down the graphics settings even more. in PVP, latency, framerate and reaction time > extremely pretty graphics.

My review?
hmmmm if I am a Gamespy review. I would give it a score of 4.5 out of 5.

the 0.5? if only it is smoother. a lot of times you will feel the game is lagging 0.2seconds behind in terms of responding to your commands, or triggering the action/animation. I do not think it is due to lag. The game can improve in terms of optimisation to reduce this "lag" effect. my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WAR beta review   WAR beta review - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

WAR beta review
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next